The zucchini soup is a light vegetarian first course, perfect for summer when these vegetables are in a full season. An excellent recipe for a light dinner, it can be easily prepared in advance and enjoyed lukewarm, so that it can be enjoyed even in the hottest seasons.
Preparing the zucchini soup is very simple and it is possible to customize it as desired by adding aromatic herbs or spices, for example mint, ginger, lemon, parsley are just some of the many possibilities, the cook’s imagination can indulge. As there are no ingredients of animal origin, this cream is suitable for vegan diets.
And if you have a vegetable garden and have an abundant harvest of zucchini available, you can prepare the soup in large quantities and freeze it so as to have it available even in winter, when unfortunately these vegetables are no longer available.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Seasonality: Summer and autumn recipe
Dish: creamy soup, vegetarian and vegan hot first course.
Ingredients for 4 people:
500 g of zucchini
600 g of potatoes
1.2 l of water or vegetable broth
a few basil leaves
a few leaves of thyme
20 g of sliced almonds
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste.
black pepper to taste
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23.3g 30%, Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%, Cholesterol 0mg 0%, Sodium 2058mg 89%, Total Carbohydrate 65.1g 24%, Dietary Fiber 12.4g 44%, Total Sugars 12.3g, Protein 23.1g, Vitamin D 0mcg 0%, Calcium 129mg 10%, Iron 4mg 24%, Potassium 2554mg 54%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
How to prepare the classic zucchini soup
To prepare this delicious soup, wash all the vegetables well, peel the onion, and put it to dry in a pan with two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. After a few minutes, while cooking, add the peeled and chopped potatoes and the courgettes, also cut into pieces and trimmed.
Cook for about 20 minutes, until all the vegetables are well cooked. Using an immersion blender, puree the vegetables until you get a smooth and creamy zucchini soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve, also adding the toasted sliced almonds separately.
Variations to flavor this hot creamy zucchini soup
The classic recipe is very good, but the delicate flavor of the courgette also lends itself to being flavored with more original aromas and flavors. So let’s find out some variations to the traditional zucchini soup: you can follow one of the suggestions below or let your imagination run wild.
- Pumpkin and courgette soup, a light and delicate vegetable-based dish perfect to prepare with cold first courses, to warm up a little even on the table, with a hot but nutritious and tasty dish.
- Lemon or mint. When cooked, add the grated zest of half an untreated lemon or a few mint leaves to the soup for an even fresher taste. Spectacular summer version of the recipe.
- Less potatoes. You can prepare the zucchini cream by replacing part of the potatoes with other zucchini if you want a more intense taste. However, we recommend adding a little potatoes to give the velvety creaminess.
- Cream or creamy cheeses. You can mix the zucchini cream after cooking with a little cream or with cream cheese such as crescenza.
Other interesting recipes
Have you tried the zucchini soup? Here we suggest some alternative recipes, which have something in common: in our cookbook, you will find different creams and many recipes with zucchini.
- Creamy pumpkin and turmeric. The sweet flavor of pumpkin lends itself to another truly exquisite cream.
- Leek and potato soup. If you like soup with courgettes, even the traditional potato and leek soup will not disappoint.
You may be interested to read lentil and potato soup recipe/ Onion soup recipe/ Mulligatawny soup recipe/ Asparagus soup recipe/ Barley soup recipe/ Cassava soup recipe/ Turmeric soup recipe/ moqueca recipe.