Mango Lassi

Mango Lassi: the recipe for a fresh and thirst-quenching Indian drink

Spread the love

Mango lassi is a fresh and thirst-quenching drink, perfect for the hottest days when we tend to eat less but sweat a lot. Originally from the Indian tradition, this drink has spread all over the world, declined in different flavours: in this case we offer you one of the most famous versions, with mango. To make mango lassi you need very few ingredients: mango, yoghurt, skim milk and sugar. Perfect for breakfast, it can also be consumed during the day, for a moment of sweetness. Here’s how to do it.

Ready in: 10 minutes
FOR 2 PEOPLE

INGREDIENTS

MANGO 1
YOGURT 2 cups (250-280 gram)
SKIMMED MILK 1 cup (150 gram)
SUGAR as required
MINT as required

Nutrition Facts

Servings: 2
Amount per serving
Calories 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2g 3%, Saturated Fat 1.5g 7%, Cholesterol 8mg 3%, Sodium 188mg 8%, Total Carbohydrate 30.7g 11%, Dietary, Fiber 0.7g 3%, Total Sugars 29.3g, Protein 11.2g, Vitamin D 0mcg 0%, Calcium 372mg 29%, Iron 0mg 1%, Potassium 328mg 7%

*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.

How to make mango lassi

Mango Lassi
Mango Lassi
Mango Lassi

Peel the mango, being careful not to leave the pulp attached to the fruit (1). Blend the mango with the milk and yoghurt until you get a homogeneous consistency (2): you can decide the degree of density of the drink. Add the sugar and continue to blend. Cool the lassi in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes, or add ice cubes, garnish with mint leaves to taste and serve (3).

Advice

You can enrich your mango lassi as you like: simply adding mint to decorate, but also cinnamon to give a more aromatic touch to the recipe. Those with a sweet tooth can add fresh cream, to make the lassi more creamy, or chocolate flakes.

If you cannot drink cow’s milk, you can replace it with a vegetable drink with rice (rice milk) or oats. Yoghurt can be substituted with Greek yoghurt if you like stronger textures.

History and variants

Lassi is a popular traditional dahi drink, native to the Indian subcontinent and widespread especially in the northern areas. The more traditional version is called namkeen (or salty) and is a salty lassi: it is prepared by mixing dahi (yoghurt) with salted water. Mango lassi is the version that is spreading the most all over the world: in this case, however, it is a sweet drink.

storage

We suggest you drink your mango lassi immediately: you can still keep it in the fridge for up to 12 hours.


You may be interested to read about the How to use apple peels blogpost/ fried corn dumpling recipe/ mulled wine with eggnog recipe/ peanut pie recipe/ sequilhos recipe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *